Home Repair

About to buy the laminate flooring...what else do I need

This topic is available here on The Repair-Place forum
We finally found the perfect match to our woodwork in the house. We picked a product made by Armstrong, 8 mm thick, with waxed edges. Glueless type. Compared to others this is expensive stuff, with a lifetime residential guarantee... cost is $4-5 per sq ft.

Now before they rope me into getting all the bells and whistles...what else do I need to get before installing it.

I don't know if underlay has different qualities? Are they the same?

Should it be necessary to buy extra sealent for the edges....protect against moisture?

We are putting this in the living room, stairs and masterbedroom (belongs to our 5 yr old daughter). It has to stand up to some coffee spills, dog(puppies) pee accidents, watering plant accidents, spilled juice....hopefully I catch everything as soon as it happens...but if I don't then I need to be sure it will be okay a few hours later.

What do we do for the stairs? Between rooms (kitchen and bathroom and son's room meet up with this new floor) What should I get as a joiner...should I have those measurements with me?

Before you buy it..... check on the web!

Here's an idea: Do a google search! Type in "Armstrong Flooring" and I bet a million places will pop up. Maybe lots of good discount places!
Thanks, I did do a search...I still don't quite trust shopping through the internet...except for Amazon.ca...I use them frequently.

The staff at the Hardwood place was very helpful, and friendly...much better than going to Home Depot. They are fairly friendly if you can ever snag one to help.

I got what I needed, and suprised that they didn't push any unnecessary stuff on me. I also picked a really high quality tile for just the entrance...it better be good. Porcelian Ceramic tile....fairly neutral, looks awesome, can't wait to have it finished.
Good luck with the floor!
As far as wax sealent goes I don't think you will need it in the areas you described. The cuts are all along the edges right at the baseboard, and maybe at a flooring transition to another room. You could seal the edges there if you wish to do so. The transition pieces are a reciever piece which liiks like a U with a nail flange on the bottom on one side (sometimes both sides). The top piece which you see is a big T and the top is your floor color or a rubber in a color. The bottom of the T snaps into the U on the reciever. There are different thicknesses of the sides of the T in case the floors aren't even.
Hoped this helped... If you have any more questions ask away!



Questions to Webmaster