Home Repair

Do I need a special outlet near the kitchen / bathroom sink?

This topic is available here on The Repair-Place forum
I want to add a receptacle near the kitchen sink.

Is it a special type? How expensive is it?
Any where near a water source the ‘outlet’ as you call it would have to be a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt) type receptacle. This would prevent electrocution from the water and electricity if grounded. Some areas require it if less than 6 feet from the sink. Check your local codes before installing one.
The cost for one is relatively inexpensive, about $10.00
If you have multiple outlets near a sink, as in a kitchen, you can wire a single GFCI outlet to cover all outlets that are wired together. It may take some time with a electrical tester or a meter, but could save some bucks on Ground Fault Outlets.


Questions to Webmaster