Home Repair

How do I skim coat over horsehair plaster?

This topic is available here on The Repair-Place forum
My house has horsehair plaster walls. There are some cracks and small holes in the walls. What is the best way to get the walls smooth and ready for painting? Can I use a patching compound like Once-n-done or Fast-n-Final or MH Patch?
Put screws in with plaster washers and tape the cracks and holes where necessary and then apply a skim coat (1/16) of plaster over all the walls. This would be the same plaster used to skim coat new construction blue board. But first you must use a bonding agent such as Plaster-Weld. There are many such products as this. Most are pva glue mixed with water for the most part. This allows the new plaster to adhere to the old. There is a window of time that you must obey also or the bonding agent will not work properly
i have been a plasterer for 29 years and come from a family of plasteres . the best way to reskim old walls is durabond or drywall mud.
Hi Mark! Welcome and thanks for your input!

Please consider joining us as a member and as a regular poster. We can ALWAYS use great advice from all the trades!


Questions to Webmaster