Home Repair

Where can I buy Old Growth wood or exotic woods

This topic is available here on The Repair-Place forum
I want to make a few small fancy projects and spend a whole lot of time working the wood and making it perfect.

I'm wondering where I can get fancy woods?

Are they called fancy woods, or are they called exotic woods or are they called old growth woods?

I remember as a kid that Mahogany was just junk wood used in a lot of highschool projects, now it's a tropical wood that is hard to get, isn't it?

How about ebony? Where can I get some nice ebony to make some small toys?

Itís all called exotic now. Must be so they can charge more!

Depending on where you live, you will have to do some research to find suppliers. Some come and go with the wind. I have seen at least 3 go out of business in the last few years.

If you just need 1 or 2 pieces, and you don't mind paying a little bit extra, then find a Woodcraft store near you. They have a small selection in the back of the store. Be prepared to pay big bucks for ebony ay $75 for a piece 1x4 3 feet long!

Some regular lumber yards will carry a limited selection of Cherry, Mahogany, Oak, maple, Birch and Walnut (maybe).


Questions to Webmaster